Do you ride driven bicycles
Get yourself and your bike fit again!
More and more people are using bicycles for their commute to work, daily errands or leisure activities. Are you also thinking about getting your old bike out of the basement? Briefly blow the dust off the handlebars and saddle and start pedaling? It's easy? Or not? We have put together six tips so that you can safely ride your bike even after a long period of abstinence:
Clean the bike
Actually, you could also set off with a dirty bike, unfortunately you won't notice if screws have come loose. If you clean the frame, fork and rim flanks, you will also notice cracks or deformations more quickly, which you can have checked in the workshop if necessary. After cleaning, your bicycle chain will be happy about an acid-free oil, such as sewing machine or lubricating oil from the bike shop. This means that the chain wears out less. All other moving parts also benefit from greasing.
Check the tires
When your bike is clean again and all moving parts are lubricated, it's time to check the tires. Two points are particularly important here: the profile and the tire pressure. Because worn tires have less grip and it is easier and safer to drive with inflated tires. If you find that your tires are cracked, replace them.
Check the brakes and gears
A dangerous situation can quickly arise on the bike. Functioning brakes are a real lifesaver. The front and rear brakes should grip properly and operate easily. A conversion to modern braking systems such as hydraulic brakes also increases the road safety of your bike. When shifting gears, it is important that your gears can be shifted easily: There is nothing annoying than when the chain jumps down when you shift down on a mountain. If you have problems with the brakes or gears, it is advisable to visit the bicycle workshop.
You can be seen more easily with light
Last but not least, you should check your lighting system: Is your light working and are all cables OK? If something doesn't work here, changing the light source can help. If you drive with battery-operated lamps, remember to charge them in good time and take a replacement with you in case of an emergency.
Does your bike have LED lighting? This can also be supplied with power via the hub dynamo and is very reliable. You can retrofit your bike with it for just a few euros. You see more and are seen more easily. Pay attention to the correct setting: The light cone should hit the ground in front of the front wheel at a distance of 10 meters so that oncoming vehicles are not dazzled.
We have a detailed checklist for all points here for you.
Determine the correct saddle height
When you get on your bike, check the saddle height: does the seating position still fit? This is optimally set when the heel just barely touches your pedal on the lower, vertically positioned crank. It is important that you do not push your knee all the way through while pedaling and that your forefoot can rest on the pedals. Your knee joint should still be slightly bent.
Safe on the move
Not only your bike should be fit for action, but you too. If you feel unsafe on your vehicle after a break, you should first take a few laps through a quiet street. This will give you a feeling for your bike and be ready for the bike tour. A bicycle helmet is strongly recommended for your own safety. You can find out how to find the right helmet for you and how to wear it correctly in our blog post “How to wear your helmet correctly”.
Anja Feldmann is social media manager in corporate communications at BGHW. She is part of the cross-media editorial team and writes for the blog "I give everything for zero."
- Social media make our society indiscreet
- Where did Devin Nunes go to school
- Will Muslims ever give Jerusalem
- Are supercars reliable
- Why should we appreciate what we have
- How does religion influence politics in Australia?
- What are the best restaurants in Erode
- What are the benefits of materialism
- Are there Motorola smartphones
- Is Slidejoy a good app
- What is Nicene Christianity
- Which place is famous for diamond mines
- What does the economy teach you
- How do I live my life 2
- What are hemp hearts good for?
- Canada is a dictatorship
- Who offers free education in the US
- Will Surya Namaskar make me great
- Why do people die by suicide
- What is Hadoop Technology like as a career
- How legitimate are IQ tests
- Why is Bill Gates not popular
- What are the best Malayalam films
- People get meaner
- Can a lone wolf join a pack?
- Automated cars will eliminate traffic violations
- Why is oxygen considered electronegative
- How is the Vakil tracing service
- What's wrong with human nature
- Can the policeman become an inspector?
- Why do dwarf planets need moons
- Are there any programs that were created on Smalltalk
- How does King Solomon relate to Freemasonry?
- Can a sadist have a schizoid personality disorder