Are all old people wise
The big difference : There is no racism against whites
The black man George Floyd, murdered by a white police officer, had not yet been buried, so André Neumann, Lord Mayor of the Thuringian city of Altenburg, felt compelled to share his thoughts on the Internet. "The last few days on Twitter you can see very well how blacks use the racism of whites against blacks to be racist against whites."
Although he apologized shortly afterwards for the tweet and nominated himself "for the stupidest and most inappropriate tweet of 2020". But his statement is representative of a trivializing, watering down use of the term racism.
We all have to protect lives
After the “Black Lives Matter” movement received a lot of media attention, the hashtag #AllLivesMatter reappeared more and more. Behind this is the statement: We all have to protect lives. Police officers as well as activists. Whites as well as blacks.
What intuitively sounds right: that all lives are currently threatened in a comparable way. But this is not the case. Blacks in the United States are almost three times as likely to be killed by the police as whites. Black Lives Matter activists pointed out that the slogan does not mean that other lives are less important - but that it is important to end the worthlessness of black life under white supremacy. Nevertheless, many still believe that, in principle, any person can be affected by racism today.
Of course there could also be racism against whites. But for that one would have to undo centuries of slavery and colonial history. The racism we see today in the US and other white majority societies is an invention of whites.
[With the “Twenty / Twenty” newsletter, our US experts accompany you every Thursday on your way to the presidential election. You can register for free here: tagesspiegel.de/twentytwenty.]
The inhuman theory of colors arose with the European subjugation of the world. An ideology designed solely to justify the power of whites over non-whites. Whenever whites portray themselves as victims of racism, they are revising history.
The fairy tale of "reverse racism" is not only represented by Nazis and right-wing populists. For example, during the corona crisis, the German embassy called on all German citizens in Cameroon to stop moving in public - with reference to "racist resentment within the population that is affecting the security of our compatriots".
Serious German media also speak of “reverse racism” with regard to South Africa, which now openly discriminates against the white minority population.
There are prejudices against whites, of course
Sure, there is also prejudice against whites. Hostility and assault. But racism is more than insulting as “German potatoes” or “white bread”. Whites can certainly experience being disadvantaged as a minority.
But it is not about isolated actions, but about taking into account the power structures behind them. And in Cameroon or South Africa, for example, that means taking the colonial past and the apartheid state into account. In the USA and Germany, people of color do not have the power to dominate the interests of the white, hegemonic majority society.
[For all those who make Berlin more beautiful and show solidarity, there is the Tagesspiegel newsletter “Ehrensache”. It always appears on the second Wednesday of the month. Register here for free: ehrensache.tagesspiegel.de.]
White people can also be born there in extremely poor living conditions. Of course, they can suffer from bullying and be affected by structural discrimination such as anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia or social exclusion.
But not from racism. White people should have this humility now. Having privileges does not mean that one's own personal pain has no legitimacy. And it doesn't mean that your own life can't be hard. But it also means that this life is not even harder because of your own skin color.
- Does an MBA have any value through correspondence?
- What is the mix design for M30
- How do I date an American
- What is sleep apnea 1
- Air traffic controllers are being tested for drugs
- What is the annual fee in SSN
- How pure is a 3 carat diamond
- How many companies use Mega
- Brahmins are Dalits these days
- A non-addict can understand addiction
- People underestimate knives
- What US Banks Offer Foreign Mortgages
- Is Trinidad a country
- What makes Kerala more beautiful
- Why is anti-Semitism so innate
- Who publishes western novels
- Should you go swimming without protective goggles
- What do you know about Indonesian history
- What is char in the C language
- What's wrong with the psychology of materialism
- In which country there is no crime
- What is the advantage of technical drawing
- A real INTJ would advertise the fact
- Can you trust the technology
- What is the contribution of civil engineers
- Why is a UK visa refused
- What are the benefits of MS in general
- How do nurses work 24-hour shifts
- How is DNA packaged in the core
- How does shallow breathing affect the body?
- Is materialism good or bad for society?
- What is quinoa
- How is the pipelining in the 8086 throughput
- What is the current market for diamonds