Computer science is overrated



FSinfo collects examination protocols and exam information from students so that future students can better prepare for the exams. You can receive old exams from us by sending an email to [email protected] Help us and pass on transcripts and information to the student council!


It is possible to complete an internship of at least 240 hours (e.g. six weeks of full-time work) in all FIM Bachelor’s degree programs and in the Master’s Computer Science. The internship is ungraded, but you will receive four ECTS points in the area of ​​key competencies. Before starting the internship, you have to find a professor to supervise the internship. Furthermore, you have to write several interim reports and a final report and talk to your supervisor. It should be noted that, according to the current module catalog, only 50% study-relevant content is required, the rest is not assessed as your own experience and is therefore not included in the ECTS assessment.

SEP and EP

The software engineering internship (SEP) for the bachelor's degree in computer science and the development internship (EP) for Internet computing represent an important part of the respective course. Such an internship is not intended for the bachelor's degree in mathematics.

As part of one of these internships, a team of three to six students works on a medium-sized software project for a semester. A total of five phases of development are run through in the SEP: functional specification, draft, specification, implementation and validation. The work packages at the EP are analogous to analysis, design, implementation and validation. For the SEP, the lectures Software Engineering, Programming II as well as Algorithms and Data Structures are prerequisites, the EP additionally requires the courses Basics of Databases as well as Web and Data Engineering.

The internships are scheduled for the fourth or fifth semester. Experience has shown that the time required is very high, which should be taken into account when planning the other events during the "internship semester". You can get advice and help at any time from the student council. During the internship, you not only gain a lot of experience in software development and administration, but also in the competence areas of time management, teamwork and communication.

At the end of the semester there is a final event in which the projects are presented in the form of the finished systems. This event can and should be attended by all students in the semester before their own internship. It is also important to have a mandatory (S) EP kick-off event, which experience has shown to take place towards the end of the previous semester. You must not miss this in order to be able to take part in the SEP or EP with your team in the following semester! The dates of the events are indicated in good time both through notices in the FIM and on the student council's social media channels.

English, French and Russian can be credited as key competencies for the bachelor's degree programs in Computer Science and Internet Computing. In addition, a so-called UNIcert certificate can be acquired for a fee. Placement tests are usually required in order to enter a language with prior knowledge. FIM students take the test for cultural industries. Then you can register for one of the courses according to the classification via Stud.IP. If you want to learn a language from scratch, it is sufficient to register for a course for "Basic Level 1.1". We recommend attending a course despite the large number of visitors, even if you are only on the waiting list or there are not enough seats in the course room. Experience has shown that you still get a place if you come to the course very regularly.

A stay abroad, for example a semester or an internship abroad, is also an option to consolidate language skills and gain experience. Various institutions and organizations such as the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the EU's ERASMUS + program award funds for this purpose. The International Office provides advice on organizational issues and financing.

Independently of the official partner universities of our university, you can apply to a foreign university as a freemover independently, but usually with increased work and organizational effort. Therefore, free recruitment agencies such as IEC or College Contact are ideal. In any case, you should start planning as early as possible (about two semesters in advance)!

If you would like to complete your academic achievements at the foreign university during your stay abroad and then credit them in your degree program, you should clarify beforehand which lectures this is possible for.
As a rule, credit can only be given if there is an equivalent lecture in the module catalog for your degree program. If necessary, the academic advisor for your degree program can help you here.

Are scholarships only for nerds? Not correct! Getting a scholarship is easier than many think. It is often possible to apply before or immediately after graduating from high school.

Permanent scholarships with financial and non-material support are available from the 13 gifted support organizations that work with the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. When applying, you should make sure that the profile of the respective foundation matches your own views. A suitable personality profile increases the likelihood of acceptance significantly. The scholarship holders of many foundations have organized themselves into university groups at the University of Passau and are available to support you with your application.

Every year, Google offers the international Women Techmakers Scholars Program especially for women. Despite the low chances, you shouldn't hesitate to apply.

The University of Passau also offers the Germany Scholarship. Students are funded with € 300 a month for one year, regardless of their income. This scholarship is financed half by private sponsors and half by federal grants. An application is particularly worthwhile if the average grade is very good, as this criterion is primarily used in the first selection round.

The AlumniClub of the University of Passau awards one or more scholarships from some larger partners every year. The opportunities for STEM students are very promising.

Students in at least the second semester who are eligible for BAföG have a very good chance of receiving the Oskar Karl Forster scholarship, a one-time grant of € 500 to purchase learning materials such as books or laptops.

Here you will find our suggestions for the course of studies, i.e. the curricula. These represent the course of study throughout the course, i.e. which lectures should be taken in the first, second, third, ... semester. The timetable, on the other hand, changes every semester and depends on the rooms and times in which the lectures and exercises are offered.

Attention: Please note that the following study plans may differ from the official sample study plans, as experiences from our own study courses have been incorporated.

When the studies draw to a close, sooner or later the question arises for most students at FIM: Where can I get a childcare place or a topic for my bachelor thesis or master thesis from?
Unfortunately, there is no standard recipe for the answer, as this topic is handled very individually by different chairs. In the following, however, you will find a few helpful tips and guidelines to successfully complete your thesis.

Basically, you should be clear about which subject you are interested in (programming, software engineering, networks, security, deep learning, etc.). So you can contact the chair or chairs that cover the respective area of ​​interest (as best as possible).
The type of contact and assignment of topics differs from chair to chair:

Many chairs publish lists of possible topics on their website or have them available on request. A central overview is provided by the information on theses on the faculty's website. Chair-specific requirements or procedures may also be described there.

Unless otherwise specified by the chair, you can often clarify the chair-specific procedure and discuss possible topics in a personal conversation.
The exercise instructors are usually the first point of contact; however, some chairs also prefer direct contact with the chair holder. For more informal contact, there are internal faculty events such as the annual barbecue, where you can talk to the lecturers and possibly find a topic.
Theses are often also written at the end of a seminar or similar. offered, e.g. B. as a continuation of a topic that has already been dealt with. Some chairs are open to students' own ideas; However, there is no guarantee that your idea or a wish for a company cooperation can be taken over one-to-one, as the content of the work should usually match the research areas of the chair.

Everything else about the scope, scope and period will then be agreed individually with the supervisor.

In general, it is always advisable to think about the topic at an early stage in order to avoid conflicts (e.g. with the start of a consecutive master’s degree).

Calculation of the overall grade

In general, according to all current subject study and examination regulations for bachelor's degree programs at our faculty, one module per module group does not have to be included in the calculation of the overall grade.

If you have achieved more than the required minimum number of ECTS (usually 180 for Bachelor courses or 120 for Master courses), you can have modules certified as "additional qualifications" in a separate document so that they are also not included in your overall grade . For example, modules with less good grades can be kept out of the main certificate (provided they are not mandatory in your study and examination regulations and you do not fall below the minimum number of ECTS by omitting).

A weighted overall average is then calculated from all these grades. The weighting depends on the ECTS of the event. In concrete terms, this means that the sum of all grades for all modules (`note_i`) multiplied by the respective ECTS (` ects_i`) divided by the total number of ECTS (`totalECTS`) results in the overall grade.


The overall grade counts only up to the first decimal place, but it is not rounded. For example, a 2.59 is entered as a 2.5 in the certificate.

You can read more information about this in your examination regulations. You can also request binding information from the examination office.

Certificate application

When you have completed your degree, all you need is one certificate. You will not receive this automatically, you have to submit an application for it. You can find this for each course on the website of the examination office
In this application, you also specify the options for your degree program, e.g. the elective area or focus, and which modules should not be included in the overall grade (as described in the previous section).

Change to the master

If you have completed your degree and decide to do a master’s degree at our university, theoretically only the application deadlines have to be observed when applying. You can find specific information about this on the university's website for the Master’s Computer Science or Master’s Computational Mathematics.

You can also apply for the master’s degree if you have not yet received your bachelor’s certificate. According to the general study and examination regulations for master’s courses at our faculty, you have the opportunity to submit the grades required for the master’s degree up to the 10th week of lectures. However, the examinations required for the degree must all have been completed before the start of the lecture period.


If your degree program ends prematurely, be it because you don't like the subject or because you finally failed to pass a compulsory module, you have a few options:

Of course, you can change the course within our university, but you only have to pay attention to the enrollment / application times. Under certain circumstances, you can even have modules that you have already passed recognized in the new course. The (specialist) student advisory service can best help you with this.

If you are receiving BAföG, a one-time change of subject is generally possible up to the 2nd semester without losing your entitlement. After that, this is only possible under certain conditions. You can find detailed information about this on the website of the Studentenwerk.

If the unfortunate case has arisen that you have definitely failed a compulsory module, you still have the following options:
If you could not pass the exam for serious, e.g. health reasons (you have to provide evidence of a doctor's certificate), you can try to submit a hardship application to the examination board. Alternatively, you have the option of changing your degree program above. For example, if you fail Linear Algebra I, Internet Computing is still open to you. A crediting of already passed modules is relatively easy to do thanks to the same exam numbers. Of course, it is now also open to you not to have individual grades taken into account, but to improve them in a new exam.

However, if you cannot / do not want to stay at our university, you can still try it at other universities / universities of applied sciences in other / similar courses of study.

With the same (especially with the same name) courses of study, problems may arise when starting over at other universities. Universities of applied sciences are usually more accommodating.

The world of training is also open to you. When applying, you can present the modules you have already passed, your achievements do not have to disappear.

If you would like to look for alternatives yourself, we can recommend the Hochschulkompass or the student advisory service at our university. The employees have a lot of information and flyers and are happy to support you for your future.

Office hours are overrated

In the corridors of the chairs, the doors are usually open and invite you to ask questions outside of the office hours. It's the same with FSinfo: You can almost always find someone in the office - just drop by. You can also arrange a consultation with the professors. B. is pointed out to problems in one's own course of study. In general, it is also advisable to put event-related problems up for discussion in the respective Stud.IP forum, as this will also help other students.

Parking situation

You are admitted to the student underground car park (below the cafeteria, WiWi and Zentralbib) if you live outside the city and no more than 90 km away from Passau. Your CampusCard will be activated in the administration in room JUR 017. The parking permit, which you can download via HISQIS, must be placed in front of the car in a clearly visible position. You can find an overview of the opening times above the underground car park entrance or here.

Registration deadlines for exams

Unless otherwise stated, you have to register for all exams via HISQIS. However, the deadlines for this vary from faculty to faculty. For WiWi exams, for example, you have to register about a month earlier than for exams at FIM. Depending on the elective subject, you will have different registration periods! The exact period will be announced in the lectures, on the university homepage and via our social media channels. Registration after these dates is usually no longer possible. At FIM there are usually two dates per semester that you can register for independently of each other. Please also make sure that you are registered for the correct date and that you have printed out your confirmation of registration with you to the exam.


An examination may not be passed a maximum of two times and must be repeated within one year at the latest. It is not possible to repeat exams that have already been passed (e.g. to improve grades). Especially in the master’s lectures, but also in the bachelor’s program, professors often choose oral exams as an examination performance. You should prepare for these a little differently than for written exams: Learn together with others and ask each other questions to ensure that you can also convey the knowledge orally understandably.

Exam review

After an exam has been corrected, you have the right to find out how your grade was obtained. This is what the exam review is intended for. In most cases, you don't even have to register at the FIM. Use this opportunity to look for possible errors in the correction - because the correctors can also overlook something correct. The grade can possibly be improved a little bit. Also, this is the only way to see what exactly you did wrong and learn from your mistakes.

bachelor thesis

You should keep one semester free for the bachelor thesis. Ask early and independently at a chair of your choice for a suitable thesis. After registration and the declaration of consent by the supervisor, the processing time is three months until submission. Please note that for the master's application to other universities you may need a final grade for the bachelor's thesis, for which chairs can allow up to three months.


In addition to specialist literature and many current magazines, the library also has a tacker (very helpful for submitting exercise sheets) and a book scanner with which extensive collections of sheets can be digitized quickly, without much effort and - unlike on the campus printers - free of charge . There is also a group room available there that you can reserve for your projects free of charge.

Duzen at FIM

Students use terms on each other. At FIM, this relaxed approach goes even further: most of the chairs also use academic staff. Caution: This does not apply to professors or most office workers!

Sick on an exam

If you fall ill immediately before an exam, you have to get a medical certificate for the day of the exam. If you fall ill during the exam, you must report to the supervisor immediately and then submit a medical certificate that you are unable to take the exam. You can find more details on the website of the Examination Office.

Elective vs. Elective Subject

In every bachelor's degree you have to choose a topic in which you can attend additional lectures outside of your own subject area - the elective. During the bachelor's degree you have to achieve a fixed number of ECTS points in the elective. You only have to make a binding decision on your elective at the end of your studies.
Compulsory elective subjects, on the other hand, are in-depth courses offered by FIM and can be selected from a list of creditable courses regardless of the elective subject - there is only a certain number of ECTS points that must be achieved. The number of points required is described in the curriculum for the bachelor's degree programs. Which courses can be credited depends on the degree program and can be looked up in the respective module catalog, which you can find on the university website.

Key competencies

Key competencies are usually block seminars that usually take place on weekends. Students of the Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Internet Computing can collect up to three ECTS points in such seminars at the Center for Career and Competencies (ZKK) or creditable language courses. In the bachelor's degree in computer science, at least 18 ECTS points must be achieved together with elective subjects, in the bachelor's degree in Internet Computing 16 points. Students of the Bachelor's degree in Mathematics require three ECTS points. Registration usually takes place via waiting lists in Stud.IP and is only possible for a certain period of time. You should also deregister in good time if you cannot attend a seminar, otherwise you will be treated with lower priority in the next semester.
Please note, however, that only selected seminars are eligible. You have to point out to the lecturers in the seminar that you will need a grade at the end. Of course, you can also simply take non-creditable seminars for personal further education.

Counting points

Failure to comply with the point limits and maximum length of study for the respective degree program threatens to de-register. The following table gives you an overview of the points to be achieved. This number of ECTS points must be achieved in order to continue studying or to receive BAföG.

Bachelor (all)> = 30 after 3 semesters
or> = 40 after 4 semesters
Teacher Training (Gym)-


Master (all)
Valid from winter semester 19/20
> = 20 after 1 semester
or> = 30 after 2 semesters.



Tips for teaching

Don't put off anything

At the end of your studies you have to take the very time-consuming state exams, but the curriculum for the last semester also provides for 30 ECTS points. It therefore makes sense to bring forward some courses to earlier semesters. In addition, you can take part of the state examination (the so-called EWS examination) prematurely and thus “only” have to write the examination exams in your two subjects and the subject didactics at the end of your studies. So it's better to work a little more at the beginning of your studies in order to have enough time for studying at the end. You should also think of the other requirements that are necessary for registering for the exam (e.g. school and company internships or the admission thesis), but not appear in the module catalogs or curricula.

Write down carefully

Of course, documents should not be thrown away in any course during the course. Since the state examination stands for student teachers at the end of their studies, it is particularly important for them to write detailed summaries and to keep them - this pays off during the exam preparation.

Double degree

In order to open up further professional perspectives in addition to the school service, a bachelor's degree can be acquired in addition to the state examination with reasonable additional effort as part of a double degree. We therefore recommend that you find out in advance which courses can be credited for both courses and that you plan them well.