Why does the Narmada not form deltas
Difference between Himalayan and Peninsula rivers
The catchment area of the Himalayan rivers is very fertile, while the catchment area of the peninsula is not very fertile. The article excerpt can help you understand the difference between Himalayan and Peninsula rivers.
|Basis of comparison||Himalayan rivers||Peninsula rivers|
|importance||Himalayan rivers are the rivers that originate from the Himalayan mountains and flow all year round.||Peninsula rivers include the rivers that arise from Western Ghats and receive water only during a certain period of time.|
|Form||delta||Some rivers form a delta, others form an estuary|
|Rocks||Bed rocks are soft, sedimentary and easily erodible||Bed rocks are hard, resilient and not easily eroded|
|Fed by||Snow and rain||rain|
|Water||Northern Great Plain||Deccan plateau|
|valley||A V-shaped valley forms||A U-shaped valley is formed|
Definition of Himalayan rivers
Himalayan rivers are referred to as rivers that originate from Himalayan mountain ranges that draw both water and rain melt from glaciers. The Indus, Ganga and Brahmaputra are the three major Himalayan rivers. These help with irrigation and cultivation of arid areas and farms all year round.
Himalayan rivers are characterized by long routes from their source to the sea. They carry a large amount of sand and silt in the upper passages due to their exhaustive erosion activity. In addition, they form meander and ox arches in the middle and lower reaches.
Himalayan rivers form large deltas. The Sundarban Delta is one of the largest delta formed by the Ganga and Brahmaputra.
Definition of peninsula rivers
Peninsula rivers are the seasonal rivers as their flow mainly depends on rainfall. In these rivers, the water flow decreases in the dry season, even if it is long. They are characterized by short and flat courses.
Most of the peninsula rivers originate in the Western Ghats, flow eastwards and flow into the Bay of Bengal. It includes rivers like the Mahanadi, Godavari, Krishna and Cauveri etc. that form deltas. However, the Narmada and the Tapi are the two rivers whose starting point is the central highlands, and they flow towards the west and form estuaries. Estuaries are nothing more than small deltas.
Main differences between Himalayan and Peninsula rivers
The points below illustrate the difference between the rivers of the Himalayas and the Peninsula:
- Himalayan rivers are the bodies of water that emanate from the north of the Himalayan mountain ranges. On the other side of the peninsula are the rivers of the western ghats or the central highlands.
- The Himalayan rivers are perennial, meaning they have water all year round. In contrast, peninsula rivers are seasonal in the sense that they only have water during a certain period of time.
- Himalayan rivers form large deltas. On the other hand, some peninsula rivers such as the Mahanadi, Godavari, Krishna, and Cauveri form deltas, while the Narmada and Tapi form estuaries.
- While Himalayan rivers meander, peninsulas do not meander.
- The foundation stones of the Himalayan rivers are soft, sedimentary and easily eroded. Conversely, the rocks of the peninsula rivers are hard, resilient and not easily eroded.
- Himalayan rivers get water from snow and rain, while peninsula rivers are only fed by rain.
- The catchment area of the Himalayan rivers is comparatively larger than that of the peninsula.
- The waters of the Himalayan River help irrigate the northern plains. In contrast, peninsula rivers irrigate the Deccan Plateau.
- Himalayan rivers form a V-shaped valley while peninsula watercourses form a U-shaped valley
The length of the canal and valley of the Himalayan river system is greater compared to the Peninsular River system. In the case of Himalayan rivers, although water is added from the underground springs, in the case of peninsula rivers, due to the hard lithology, no underground water is added to the river.
- Why do people continue to live 1
- Do doctors secure jobs during a recession?
- Which is the largest prison in the world
- Why are people so opposed to having knowledge?
- Can fade 14k Italy gold
- Is it safe to live in Bulgaria?
- What are wholesale diamond
- Does an MBA have any value through correspondence?
- Should the fashion industry promote a zero size
- What do you think of whites
- Shave regularly
- What can cause sudden numbness
- Why is academic writing important
- You can just stop taking HRT
- What are some of the best tattoos for girls
- How did Robert E Lee commit treason
- How do I deal with judgmental people
- What are the backup function security cameras
- Is the fate of humanity at stake?
- Do they have McDonalds in America too
- What are illegal websites
- Where is PDT observed all year round?
- Believing in itself actually does something
- Why do I need a patent