What if the US invaded Ireland?
Why wasn't the Republic of Ireland attacked (from both sides) during World War II?
Neither the Germans nor the British were even remotely interested in what Ireland had to offer at the time. It was a neutral country in northwestern Europe. The military was by no means particularly strong, although the Irish Republican Party and Eamon de Valera had gained independence from the British in the 1920s, largely through military force.
More precisely, the Germans were not interested in Ireland because:
The young country was not a threat, militarily, politically or otherwise.
Nazi ideology was not particularly against the Irish people, many of whom were considered "Aryans".
The invasion and occupation would require a lot of marine / manpower to make a negligible profit.
The British would likely have contributed to the defense as they had the potential to stage a second offensive front against Britain.
Although Ireland was completely independent from Britain until 1939, strong ties between the countries still existed and, in fact, many Irish soldiers were hired as mercenaries to fight for the British Empire - on a voluntary basis. In that sense, they were Britain's unofficial allies. The hostility of the Irish independence movement had certainly calmed down by then.
All in all, you can think of this as a business decision if you will. The potential gain was very small while the initial cost was very high. Britain couldn't care less about Ireland unless it defended it, and Germany was much more focused on defeating the superpowers of the time: Britain, Russia, and later the United States.
- Why do Chinese people celebrate New Year
- Can I cancel my SAT test essay?
- Falls OBC among minorities
- India is safer for Americans than Mexico
- Has Madara Uchiha killed the cage five
- Is it normal to regret children?
- Which group is best for fashion design
- Where are the Mesopotamian clay tablets kept
- Is the reality really real?
- Athens had a military
- What is special about Lithuania?
- Spaniards are usually short
- Will there be a war with Iran?
- Litecoin will hit 1 million
- Which UK universities are investment banks targeting?
- How are Japanese Americans seen in Japan
- How are countercultural movements possible?
- Why is Wales not considered England
- Who understands the feelings of men or women
- CAs are in great demand
- Which is the best VFX or 3D animation
- How much sugar does sugar need
- How can I identify pure gold
- Soaps are harmful to the skin