How are gun laws changing in New Zealand?

New Zealand passes stricter gun laws

Your coalition is agreed on this. Out of respect for the 50 fatalities in the double attack, New Zealand's largest arms fair, which was due to take place next weekend, was canceled.

In Christchurch, the funerals of the dead should begin on Monday. Presumably it will take until Wednesday until all corpses are released for it. 31 injured are still being treated in hospital. The alleged perpetrator Brenton Tarrant, a right-wing extremist from Australia, wants to defend himself in court on his own, according to his previous compulsory lawyer. The 28-year-old faces life imprisonment for multiple murders.

Gun possession possible at 16

Prime Minister Ardern said in the capital Wellington that the cabinet agreed "in principle" on tougher laws. Details should follow within the next ten days. Foreign Secretary Winston Peters of the populist coalition partner NZF, who had previously rejected such plans, said: “Our world has changed forever. That is why our laws will also change. ”In the Pacific state, according to a review, you can own weapons at the age of 16.

The right-wing extremist Australian had five weapons and explosives with him when he was arrested after the attack on the two mosques. He has had a New Zealand gun license since 2017. Gun City, New Zealand's online gun dealer, confirmed that Tarrant had ordered at least four guns and ammunition over the Internet. Everything was legal.

The right edge of New Zealand

Before the attack on two mosques, which left 50 dead, New Zealand was considered a progressive and tolerant country. The rise of the right-wing extremist scene went unnoticed for a long time.

Right-wing extremist wants to defend himself

Tarrant apparently wants to defend himself in court. The previous public defender Richard Peters told the "New Zealand Herald" that the Australian had released him from his mandate. Peters suggested that the former fitness trainer wants to use the process as a platform for his "fairly extreme views". "The judge's job will be to deal with it." Tarrant had given him the impression that he was in a clear mind and mentally stable, and showed neither remorse nor pity.

In Christchurch, the first casualties have since been handed over to the families. According to Islamic custom, it is actually customary for the dead to be buried within 24 hours. However, the families had to wait much longer. According to New Zealand media reports, it is also being considered to bury the victims together. A delegation from Turkey, led by Foreign Minister Mevlüt Cavusoglu, visited Christchurch on Monday.

Facebook can't handle video uploads

Before the crime, Tarrant had posted a pamphlet with right-wing extremist slogans on the Internet and also sent it by email. He describes Muslims and immigrants as "invaders" and himself as racists. He then broadcast the crime live on the Internet with a camera. Despite all attempts to remove the 17-minute video from the network, it is still circulating there. Facebook and other platforms have so far failed to take the video completely offline as it keeps uploading.

According to a media report, an 18-year-old must remain in custody after he published live images of the fatal attacks on two mosques along with calls for "extreme violence," as it was said, on the Internet. The responsible court had denied the man's application for a release on bail, reported the "New Zealand Herald".

Police raided homes

The Australian police meanwhile searched two apartments. As the police said, the searches took place in the places Sandy Beach and Lawrence in the Australian state of New South Wales near the town of Grafton, from which Tarrant comes. According to the current assessment of the New Zealand police, the alleged bomber had no accomplices. Police Chief Mike Bush said, "We believe that this terrible act was committed by a single person."

Tarrant was arrested on Friday after the massacre with at least 50 deaths in two mosques. The Australian, who has lived in New Zealand for several years, now faces life imprisonment for multiple murders. New Zealand with its nearly five million inhabitants has so far been largely spared from terrorism and rampage. The "New Zealand Herald" appeared on Monday with a large heart on the front page, which consisted of 50 individual hearts. The headline: "You are us."