Why do decisions make people unhappy?
psychology Happy without making your own decisions
Having to decide something costs energy. Often we don't just have a choice between two things or two ways. We are also pressed for time and may be influenced, which makes it even more difficult for us to listen to our inner voice. For many decades, scientists have been studying how we make decisions under certain conditions and what goes on in our brains. They all come to the same conclusion: it takes strength to make a decision.
The neuroscientist Moran Cerf (Northwestern University, USA) concludes that it relieves the burden and thus contributes to our happiness when others make decisions for us. Then when it's even people we like, we feel even better.
I was able to determine that the presence of a likable person ensures that the brainwaves almost synchronize. Among other things, smells and noises that we perceive from the other are responsible for this.Moran Cerf, neuroscientist
Let others decide - a recipe for luck?
From this knowledge he has derived a recipe for happiness that he uses himself. It is best to only travel with people you find good. They would then make the right decisions for you. Cerf, for example, basically lets others choose a restaurant and each time takes the second daily offer on the menu in order to save himself the decision. Does that always make you happy?
Saving energy alone does not make you happy
Cerf's study results, however, neglect one thing - what the scientists call "internal control belief": to take the reins into your own hands.
Believing yourself to be able to control the consequences of my behavior and to influence it is just as important for our well-being, i.e. for our happiness. Passing an exam, for example, or successfully getting a raise, that feels good.Annegret Wolf, Psychologist Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
If decisions are constantly taken from us, even if they are only small, then it can happen that at some point we feel helpless, at the mercy of and dependent. In the worst case, we forget to make decisions ourselves. Annegret Wolf leads a classic experiment on mice:
No matter what the animals did, the experimenter randomly gave them cheese or an electric shock. This unpredictability and this vulnerability led to the fact that the mice sat apathetically in the corner and almost became depressed, if you can say that with mice.Annegret Wolf
Not being able to decide can also make you unhappy. It also depends on what kind of decisions are involved. Cerf's strategy may work when it comes to going to a restaurant, that is, when it comes to spending free time. But what about decisions that determine our life path? What job? Which city? Which partner?
Despite all the similarities to people we like, we each lead our own life with a lot of individual aspects. We should rather listen to our inner voice.Annegret Wolf
Decision is (also) power and control
How we efficiently make the right decision is a big issue for politics and in companies. Studies are commissioned for this purpose, employees are trained for this, and money is invested for this. Because profitability and market success often depend on it. Stock market crashes, for example, make clear the consequences of people making the wrong decisions. But you don't have to go that far:
People who are more involved and able to help shape companies and organizations are usually also happier and more productive. This benefits everyone: the employees stay healthy and the work processes run smoothly.Annegret Wolf
Happiness is diversity
The good news for everyone who can't decide whether they like to decide for themselves or not: Our happiness doesn't just depend on one factor. It is an interplay of different things that are good for us.
- What will make you feel empty
- What should children do when parents fight
- Can I meet a Kerala girl
- How much does the franchisee earn
- How many teeth are required for IPS
- How is the Paris business school
- How and when did you get engaged
- What is unique about Cuba
- America has been more racially divided since 1945
- What's the best red robin hamburger
- Why do wedding bride wear gloves
- Can Trump forgive Cosby if not why
- Is it useful to study computer science?
- Can you automate software testing
- To what extent can parents' expectations affect children?
- Is England a country
- What is psychology behind shooting in school
- How does the present moment feel?
- Is related to Anne Klein to Calvin Klein
- What is PM Modis IQ
- How often do children inherit bipolar disorder
- How should I study the Constitution of India
- Helped Swami stop sati
- How common is male rape in India?
- What's negative about Uber and / or Lyft
- Are the students in SUTD visionaries
- Why do narcissists hate love
- What's the best vegan sauce
- Widows will go away
- What is the best virtual trading platform why
- What do Canadians love about Great Britain?
- What are the best tamal recipes
- Why are people afraid of balloons popping?
- Is lucky to find a gold chain