What percentage of Turks have Circassian ancestors
What percentage of today's Turks are of Bulgarian / Circassian / Greek / Serbian descent?
I am not sure if it is possible to define a percentage of the population as descendants as it is quite difficult to scientifically define a descendant of one ethnic group when you have to define that other ethnic group scientifically as well.
There are several studies of the DNA distribution of populations in many countries. One of the most serious studies on Turkey is that "Excavation of Y Chromosome Haplotype Layers in Anatolia" by Cinnioglu et al., Stanford University.
It shows the following results as the Y-DNA haplogroup distribution of the Turkish population:
E1b1b1 = 10.7% (common in the Mediterranean region)
G = 10.9% (often in the Caucasus, also in the Middle East)
I = 5.3% (common in Central Europe, the West Caucasus and the Balkans)
J1 = 9% (often in Arabia and Dagestan)
J2 = 24% (often in West Asia and Southeast Europe as well as in Central and South Asia)
K = 4.5% (common in Asia and the Caucasus)
L = 4.2% (common in India and Khorasan)
N = 3.8% (common in Eastern Europe and North Asia, including Siberia (e.g. Turkish-speaking Yakuts), the Altai mountain region and the Ural mountain region)
Q = 1.9% (common in North Asia, including the North Maltese peoples)
R1a = 6.9% (often in Central Asia, the Caucasus, Eastern Europe and among Indo-Aryans)
R1b = 14.7% (common in Western Europe)
T = 2.5% (often in the Mediterranean, South Asia and Northeast Africa)
You have to make sure that Y-DNA only shows the male and not the female ancestors - although I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.
It is also important to note that the Y-DNA distribution in the population is given above and the population is not made up of people from any of these categories. Everyone has several of these categories as all humans carry genes from thousands of ancestors.
In many ways, Turkey has a very diverse ethnic profile that is very mixed. You can also compare the Y-DNA profiles of other countries in Europe on the map of the study below. There you can see that the profile of neighboring countries like Greece is more or less very similar.
- Is Pakistani Punjab better than Indian Punjab
- How can we live without being selfish?
- What is mild punishment
- Are Nikes made in Vietnam
- What does ummm
- What is the best korean spicy food
- Would Listerine disinfect a wound
- How can an architecture student improve
- International students can study law in Canada
- Why are monarchs still practiced
- What does national pride mean to you
- What are the best research topics
- How do I make money with SaaS
- Is India better than Canada and Australia
- What are the roughest words in English
- Is this love worth it
- What makes a good startup CFO
- Why do people become hippies
- How can Turks become ethnically European
- What screams i have borderline personality disorder
- Which are the most interesting Canadian senators
- Which instrument has the greatest total range
- Where is the value of gold determined
- When did the transliterations begin in Chinese
- What's on your 2019 bucket list
- Why are most of the Gujaratis cute and innocent
- What makes a window energy efficient
- What do Hong Kongers think of Japan?
- Are Italians considered Anglo-Saxons
- Are trans people really men or women?
- How are Palestinians treated in Israel
- Do you live in hell
- How should I invest 500
- How does British politics work