What was your wildest lucid dream
Not every lucid dreamer can control the dream action
contentRead on one side
Neurobiological findings on REM sleep in general provide a background for this thesis. In adults, the frontal lobe is rather sluggish in REM sleep and thus in REM dream. Since the frontal areas are responsible for thinking, judgment and working memory, this could explain why dreams are so irrational and mostly forgotten. In the lucid REM dream, the frontal lobe is significantly more active (Medical hypotheses: Mota-Rolim and Araujo, 2013), so it can be distinguished from a non-lucid one.
Only a part of the regular lucid dreamers can influence the dream action. This includes two groups in particular, discovered Daniel Erlacher and his colleague Tada Stumbrys (Imagination, Cognition and Personality, 2017): On the one hand, those who dream particularly frequently, and on the other, more mindful people. Being mindful means being able to control your attention. Possibly, write Erlacher and Stumbrys, these people could even transfer this control from waking to dreaming.
Nobody should play around with their dreams lightly
In fact, there are many methods that are designed to specifically trigger lucid dreams. Some scientific studies examine how well these work. A Heidelberg working group led by Tadas Stumbrys checked all of them (Consciousness and Cognition, 2012). The result: no method reliably elicits a lucid dream. But some are better than the others: For example, regularly visualizing that one is dreaming lucidly. Or get up in the morning and lie down again after an hour. Or get into the habit of doing reality checks during the day, which you can then use at night: for example, pinching your arm and checking whether you can feel it. By the way, you don't feel it in a dream, even in a lucid dream.
Brigitte Holzinger, however, warns against throwing oneself into such dreams for fun. "We don't know exactly what happens psychologically when we intervene in our dreams," she says. "This shouldn't be handled lightly." She advises a cautious, respectful approach.
If used correctly, however, there is great potential in lucid dreams. Not only for the dreaming, but also for science. In the meantime, lucid dream research has made it from the esoteric corner to philosophy, psychology and neuroscience. Because with the help of lucid dreams one can probably expand knowledge about why we sleep and dream, and what our consciousness is all about.
- What's cheap in Hong Kong
- How many Harry Potters are there
- Which is the best online trading platform
- Give away money to celebrities
- Did President Obama miscalculate in Syria in 2014
- How does poverty affect children?
- What makes a woman confident
- Why is America the strongest
- Can someone fall in love with someone
- Why is CS called Informatik
- Why is my C ++ program not working properly
- How are AutoCAD drawings rated
- Why are debt collection agencies suing
- How do I save rainwater at home
- How do Americans see their story
- What vitamins are good for women's health
- Ayn Rand mentioned Wittgenstein's work
- How does religion affect population growth?
- What are some luxury men’s streetwear brands
- Is a sleeveless top suitable for work
- Dartmouth is an Ivy League
- What is Brinellhaerte
- Is the United States a rogue state?
- What can I bring to Canada