What does allantoin do to the skin
AllantoinDrug groupsDermatics / Keratolytics Allantoin is an active ingredient from the group of dermatics and keratolytics. It occurs in plant and animal organisms as the end product of the purine metabolism and is formed from uric acid. Allantoin is used externally for skin and scar care, for wound treatment, against skin diseases and as a cosmetic. It is often found in medicinal products to promote the penetration of active ingredients through the skin.
Allantoin is found in creams and ointments for external use and in numerous cosmetics and body care products.Structure and properties
Allantoin (C.4H6N4O3, Mr = 158.12 g / mol) is a racemate and belongs to the group of imidazolidines. It is a white, crystalline powder and is odorless and tasteless. It is sparingly soluble in water.
Allantoin is an end product of the purine metabolism in plant and animal organisms and is formed by the uricase enzyme during the oxidative breakdown of uric acid. It occurs naturally, for example, in wallwort, maple, salsify, beets, horse chestnuts and in wheat germ.
Allantoin promotes cell proliferation, epithelial formation and removes necrotic tissue. It has anabolic, antioxidant, moisturizing, smoothing, keratolytic, penetration-promoting and antimutagenic properties.Indications
Allantoin is used externally for wound treatment (cuts and burns, ulcers, eczema, etc.), for skin care, against skin diseases and for scar care. It is often found in medicinal products to loosen up the skin and make it easier for the active ingredients to penetrate.dosage
According to the package insert.Contraindications
Allantoin is contraindicated in case of hypersensitivity. The complete precautionary measures and information on interactions can be found in the product information sheet.unwanted effects
Possible adverse effects include hypersensitivity reactions.see also
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- Araújo L.U., Grabe-Guimarães A., Mosqueira V.C., Carneiro C.M., Silva-Barcellos N.M. Profile of wound healing process induced by allantoin. Acta Cir Bras, 2010, 25 (5), 460-6 Pubmed
- Campanati A., Savelli A., Sandroni L., Marconi B., Giuliano A., Giuliodori K., Ganzetti G., Offidani A. Effect of Allium Cepa-Allantoin-Pentaglycan Gel on Skin Hypertrophic Scars: Clinical and Video-Capillaroscopic Results of an Open-Label, Controlled, Nonrandomized Clinical Trial. Dermacol Surg, 2010, 8 Pubmed
- Cosmetics textbooks
- Römpp Thieme online
- Shestopalov A.V., Shkurat T.P., Mikashinovich Z.I., Kryzhanovskaia I.O., Bogacheva M.A., Lomteva S.V., Prokof'ev V.P., Gus'kov E.P. Biological functions of allantoin. Izv Akad Nauk Ser Biol, 2006, 5, 541-5 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author (SR) has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned. Review: AVadditional Information
Our online advice service PharmaWiki Answers will be happy to answer your questions about medication.Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 1/30/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Can a person have too much sex
- Why does affection make me uncomfortable
- Is BSNL useful
- What is lean management
- Democracy in India is just an ideology
- Is egg and chicken healthy
- What does Kustum Sana mean in Turkish
- Who is Nathan Stanish
- How do I sign mine in ASL
- Why is appearance important to some people
- Can someone escape death
- Why is communication important to you
- What do you think marriage means 1
- What is secondary health insurance
- Anxiety How was the word Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia discovered
- What do you think marriage means 1
- Is Air Jordan 1 comfortable
- How can I root my Motorola
- How do you say Get in Tagalog
- How good at business is Trump really
- Why should everyone complain about child labor?
- What are the hottest new software technologies
- How can India promote its tourism
- What makes a speech memorable