Why is Brazil such a ghetto
Brazil: The wild life in the slums of Rio de Janeiro
Nobody knows where the rumor came from, but in early April it's everywhere. The Red Command, Rio's most powerful drug cartel, is planning an invasion of the Vidigal favela. A few days later, school children saw five men with assault rifles in the nearby forest. And then a message arrives from a neighboring favela: There were five dead when the Red Command marched in. Next, they say, it's Vidigal's turn. The main prize.
A few months earlier I moved to the favela on behalf of GEO, to a windowless room by the rainforest, where clothes go moldy faster than fruit. Through the thin walls in the labyrinth of alleys you can hear the neighbors' sex and their children's goodnight prayers, but the view in front of the door compensates for that: it leads across a sea of red houses to the Atlantic Ocean and the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon, those golden stripes between mountains and sea, which made Rio famous for its main export product: lifestyle.
In the past four years, Vidigal has become cool, as the city's first favela. More than a thousand foreigners have settled in the poor district, there are lots of samba parties, even stand-up comedy and fashion shows, luxury apartments and sushi restaurants are being built. Apparently David Beckham and Madonna bought houses, but no one can confirm these reports.
Curious? You can find the whole article in GEO Magazine 08/2016 "The Art of Letting Go".
- What is deeper than religion
- How do I publish a technical paper
- What are some unconventional comics
- Who is faster The Flash or Superman
- How does monetary policy affect unemployment
- Why is Bertrand Russell so highly regarded
- What are mean criteria
- How do ethnicity and nationality differ?
- What happened to the prison snitch?
- How should we start a travel business?
- Why do dwarf planets need moons
- Which language is Catalan most similar to
- What do westerners think of Hinduism?
- What am I supposed to achieve before 40
- What do the approval fees mean for Visa residents
- What is the best Arabic dictionary app
- Where do I start my AutoCAD training
- What is stripe
- What are the uses of an ACH
- What is a microcontroller 4
- New Zealand accepts the PTE
- How does caffeine addiction affect depression?
- Where should I study luxury brand management
- Backpack luggage can be checked in
- What are some good free animation programs
- What comes first, knowledge or understanding
- Who offers prepaid payment card services
- How important is SEO for blogging
- How were jeans invented
- What scares people with borderline personality disorder
- What is the Yoruba name for basil
- Isn't it time to follow your dreams
- Is moringa good for gout
- Why are people asking for a favor?