Does anyone enjoy crying
Tears: why we sometimes cry for joy
When Oriana Aragon heard the term "tears of joy" for the first time, she was puzzled. How and why should it be possible to show the opposite of what one feels? “I was surprised that no one had asked themselves this question about why that is so,” she says. Who knows: Maybe someone had already asked this question - but at least not in a scientific context. Aragon, who as a psychologist at Yale University has the best qualifications to clarify unanswered questions, got to work.
She examined the "dimorphous expressions" - that is, two-dimensional feelings that do not go together at first glance, in a series of experiments. Her focus: emotions in which positive feelings were accompanied by emotional expressions that are actually "reserved" for negative feelings. Tears in your eyes at the birth of your own baby, at the appearance of the revered teen star, at the beautiful end of a film or when your favorite football club wins an important game.
All of these examples combine feelings of happiness with expressions of feelings of sadness. Another example is combining attraction with an emotional expression that conveys aggression - like pinching the cheek of a terribly cute baby.
Cute babies to "nibble on"
In several online studies, Aragon exposed its test subjects to precisely such very positive stimuli and asked about their emotional reaction. In fact, more people said a baby was "eatable" or "nibble on" when it was particularly cute.
Tears do not lie
- Should I move to a homeless shelter?
- What is the Indian culture of India
- What is your evaluation of academic research
- What are the disadvantages of the African philosophy
- Are Hindus in India dangerous to minorities
- How is communism in China
- How is Pixar's Coco
- Which book are you reading these days?
- Should Anthony Joshua fight Mike Tyson
- What is the most expensive watch you own
- What are the best research topics
- India has a male dominated society
- Do you suffer from stress and anxiety
- What is the difference between payroll and paycheck
- Is a high school diploma a degree
- How can I write research
- How can a unlucky man be lucky
- What brought democracy to Athens
- What made you a centrist?
- Why do I feel cold after meditation?
- Why is tutoring worthwhile?
- President Putin is good for Russia
- Which way is the United States going?
- How do INTjs make good executives
- What is the warmest winter towel
- Why do some countries not allow multiple citizenships
- What are the effects of caffeine tolerance
- What could true patriotism be?
- What are some examples of aqueous solutions
- Archeology refutes the Bible
- What do feminist women think of Eminem
- Which egg is best for weight gain
- Which career suits my personality?