Is linguistics difficult to study
You have to meet the following requirements for studying linguistics:
- Matriculation examination or university entrance qualification examination
- Knowledge of Latin (if not available, you can take an additional examination before the last examination of the BA course)
- Knowledge of English (most of the literature is in English)
- Further foreign language skills are welcome
- Bachelor's degree in the same or a related subject
- Partly in an equivalent subject: Determination of equivalence is checked
- Basic knowledge of what you use every day: the language
- Feel for language / talent for language
- Social skills
- Interest in the language
- Analytical thinking can be very helpful, especially when analyzing sentences and words
- Interest in scientific work
In the linguistics bachelor's degree, you will receive a comprehensive introduction to the great topic of linguistics.
Important areas of the course are:
- Sentence structure (syntax)
- Word structure (morphology)
- Sound structure (phonology)
- Language meaning (semantics)
- Language in a social context (sociolinguistics)
- Discourse analysis
- and much more.
Linguistics or linguistics is divided into three parts:
General linguistics: What is language What are the characteristics of all languages? How is language structured? How is a sentence, how is a word structured? How is language spoken and formed in the mouth?
Applied Linguistics: It becomes practical. Speech recognition, language in the environment, which group speaks which slang in society and why? We argue? How is forensic linguistics used in criminology?
Historical linguistics: History of language, language change, is there an original language? What do such languages have in common?
At the beginning of the course you will be taught the basics and you will first deal with the areas of language history, syntax, phonology and other areas. In the further course of your studies you can choose your own focus and also attend seminars that are more practical.
Duration: 6 semesters
Graduation:Bachelor of Arts
ECTS credits: 180
Type of study: Full time
Duration: 4 semesters
Graduation: Master of Arts
ECTS credits: 120
Type of study: Full time
At the same time, the advantage and disadvantage of studying linguistics is that you cannot pursue a specific job description with the degree. In principle, you can do anything and everything with it and say something in a bad way, with a degree in linguistics you will become a taxi driver. While you can focus on your studies and thus go in one direction, you still have a wide range of options.
- Conversation and communication advice
- Publishing and librarianship
- Linguistic research and teaching
- Public educational and cultural institutions
Humanities scholars generally have a harder time entering the job market. Maybe this is due to the very scientific orientation, maybe also because there is simply no special branch tailored to linguists. This is a curse and a blessing at the same time, because of course you are very free in your choice of profession. However, there is also the risk that you will remain haphazard and at the end of your studies you will not know where the path will lead you. There are of course positions for which you can apply as a linguist, but there are also many competitors who apply for precisely those positions.
So in order to increase your chances on the job market, you should think early on which profession or which industry will appeal to you. We also recommend that you do internships or have a part-time job (or hobby) that is close to your career aspirations. Because this way you can give yourself a profile, pimp your résumé, stand out from others - or at least keep up - and better explain to potential employers why you are particularly suitable for the advertised position.
It's hard to say what you deserve as a linguist. In the end, a lot depends, among other things, on the industry in which you work. According to Salary Compass.at, the starting salary is between 2,700 and 3,000 euros gross per month.
- Is JIT a compiler or an interpreter
- How would a race war develop?
- Ear spinning is a good punishment
- Why is India lagging behind in infrastructure
- How deep can deep sea divers dive
- Transmen enjoy male privileges
- What is Marxist dialectical materialism
- What if the Titanic had never sunk?
- Why is the western media against Trump
- Why Are Some Americans Anti-Gay
- How to Get Canadian PR Fast
- Is gasoline carcinogenic?
- What makes electric bikes so expensive?
- Is the 4Ocean bracelet campaign real
- Why do people like old technology
- Why are waves classified
- Albinos have 100 white skin
- Should J N U be around
- What is the best MTS video converter
- What is it like to lose a sibling
- What happens after you humiliate a narcissist
- Which factors influence my personal lifestyle
- What's your second favorite fruit
- How do I masturbate and orgasm
- Are people mean to good looking people
- How are biodegradable plastic bags made
- What would a modern hippie look like?
- How did you get out as a non-binary
- Which countries are occupied
- Why do Westerners look down on China?
- How can students contribute to Hadoop
- What fashion trend did you start
- What goes well with corn bread