What is the most expensive substance in the world
These are the 8 most expensive substances in the world
The world of raw materials is full of fascinating, noble and exotic materials - the rarer, the more expensive. And if you think of particularly valuable materials, gold, platinum, palladium or iridium will probably immediately come to mind. For many, they serve as a safe haven for investments.
In general, however, they are by no means in the upper league of the most expensive substances. Palladium and iridium are currently € 20 per gram, gold costs around € 35 and platinum is only slightly higher.
Most expensive substances in the world - from drugs to antimatter
These orders of magnitude pale completely when it comes to gram prices that extend well over the million mark. However, the most expensive substances in the world are those to which private individuals have little access, and if so, not legally. The ranking is opened by a consortium of illegal drugs.
8. Drugs (up to 125 euros per gram)
According to Statista, one gram of heroin cost € 43.5 in Germany in 2015. For cocaine you had to shell out € 76 and for the fashion drug crystal meth over € 90. The fastest-acting drug with the highest degree of dependency is called crack and has a dealer price of around € 125 per gram.
7. Plutonium (around 2,900 euros)
The next big leap is into the world of nuclear materials. Among other things, plutonium is produced from the uranium in the fuel elements of nuclear power plants. However, it became known worldwide because the atomic bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki in 1954 contained plutonium. Theoretically, the gram could be had for US $ 3,150.
6. Taaffeit (up to 15,000 euros)
Also in 1945 a very rare gem was discovered by the Irish explorer Count Eduard Taaffe. According to an analysis in London, it was a previously unknown mineral. Since then it has been known as taaffeite and costs between € 2,000 and over € 15,000 per gram.
5. Tritium (25,000 euros)
The radioactive gas tritium is not only a component of nuclear warheads, traces of it are also used in medicine to mark certain substances. It also lights up clock faces in clocks and other light sources. Tritium is obtained as a by-product of nuclear fission, of course it only occurs in the stratosphere. The price per gram: approx. € 25,000.
4. Diamonds (up to 50,000 euros)
It is also expensive among the coveted gemstones, the diamonds. They are the hardest natural materials in the world and are used partly as jewelry, partly in industry. Often used here for cutting, drilling or sawing concrete and stone. With a fineness of one carat, a colorless stone at the tip can cost over € 50,000 per gram.
3. Painit (240,000 euros)
An orange-red crystal called painite costs even more. Its name is derived from the British mineralogist Arthur Pain, who discovered it in Burma in 1957. Only a few thousand specimens have been found since then. The pieces, which weigh up to 500 grams, are only used in the jewelry industry. Cost per gram: approx. € 240,000.
2. Californium 252 ($ 21 million)
At the end of the flagpole in the realm of the present is the chemical element californium 252, which is artificially produced in nuclear reactors - discovered in 1950 at the University of the US state of California. It is used, among other things, to treat cancer and is used for measurements during oil drilling, for finding explosives or in material diagnostics. All of this hardly suggests that a gram costs over US $ 21 million.
1. Antimatter (up to $ 100 trillion)
The most expensive substance is one that is beyond our imagination: antimatter. For a long time it was only proven mathematically as the result of the Big Bang, but recently it was possible to generate it for the first time in the nanogram range at the European research center CERN. With quantities of one kilogram or more, energies could be released that correspond to the annual output of 500 nuclear power plants.
As a super drive for spaceships, it could enable journeys to other galaxies. Our energy problems would then be solved. However, the antimatter does not last more than 17 minutes. The astronomical asking prices are just as intangible. Depending on the source, gram prices range between $ 70 trillion and $ 100 trillion or more.
At most, diamonds are of interest to private investors
For hardly any superlative substance there are real investment opportunities, at least not for the majority of private investors. And only real connoisseurs should get involved with diamonds. Otherwise, indirect investments such as gold funds or stocks remain. Either mine operators like Petra Diamonds, Anglo American or the jewelry dealer Tiffany.
This is the most important diamond producer in the world When you think of diamonds, you think of South Africa. And anyone who knows about diamonds thinks of De Beers - for a long time the largest producer in the world. > read more
- Want Gujarati's independence
- How often does it snow in Canada?
- Why so many women in Jannah
- Is actor Kamal Hassan Hindu
- What is the difference between Java and Scala
- Is SDA Bocconi College good
- What exactly are Sturmjaeger doing
- Can I change my Tennessee license plate?
- What is hard currency and soft currency
- Why do people like Britain
- How do I get a construction bond
- Men grow out of wearing panties
- How close is De Gea to Neuer
- Why don't atheists believe in gods?
- Which health insurance is good
- Canada is viewed as a social democracy
- Why is socialism often brought into conflict with authoritarianism?
- Should cannabis be legalized
- Are Italians considered Anglo-Saxons
- Isn't it time to follow your dreams
- Why are people so flat and judgmental
- What is the best BPM tool
- How can I improve handicraft sales
- Apache Spark is hard to learn
- Can I see a Haskell code
- Why are most young adults liberals
- What is the process to extract dysprosium
- Have you ever been fined for prosthetics?
- What are the best high fashion wholesalers
- What is Credit Card RFID Technology
- What are the requirements for big data
- What is the FA Cup
- What do other nations think of Filipinos
- Formula 1 Ferrari is centered