Which country has the most colonies
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
Colonialism / colonies
Subjugation of other countries
Over the past 200 years, many European states have subjugated countries in other parts of the world. These countries could not defend themselves against the overwhelming power of the Europeans and became so-called colonies. This policy of conquest is known as "colonialism". The term comes from the Latin word "colonia", which means "settlement outside the Roman citizen area".
Exploitation of the colonies
The countries were often only subjugated because the conquerors wanted to have the treasures of the foreign countries for themselves. It could be gold or diamonds. Spices, tea, coffee, tobacco or fruit were also bought for little money in foreign countries and then sold for a lot of money in their home countries.
The first colonies were conquered by the great seafaring nations Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, France and the Netherlands. Germany, which was not one of the great seafaring nations, had few colonies in Africa and Asia for a short time (until the end of the First World War). Spain, on the other hand, had large colonies in Central and South America and England in Asia and the Middle East. The colonies were administered by German, French, English and Spanish officials.
Consequences of colonialism
The people who lived in the colonies were subject to foreign rulers and often had no rights of their own. Until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, more than half of all people in the world lived in colonies. Only after the end of the Second World War in 1945 did the European states gradually give up their colonies again, so that these countries became independent. Many of them still suffer from the fact that they were ruled by foreign states for so long.
FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions
(Frequently Asked Questions - this is the English translation of "frequently asked questions")
your further questions ...
Write us your question
Before asking a question, please read the lexicon article completely. Please see if anyone has already asked the same question. Often you will find the answer to your question there.write us
- What is the hardest type of diamond
- How long will the global recession last
- Why was there no decolonization after the First World War?
- How does anger make you stupid
- Can you predict my astrological details?
- I can dream big
- Can be filed FIR against Prime Minister
- What is the longest word in Vietnamese
- What is the underwriter's bank
- Is it legal to take pepper spray with you?
- Psychology is a good career in Canada
- Why do you think you are average
- Turkey likes Egypt
- What's up with Keralite teenagers these days
- Which career suits my personality?
- Where is New York
- What disinfects a wound
- Will Manchester United win against Liverpool on Monday
- What is the main cause of flooding?
- When did the transliterations begin in Chinese
- How did Dushka Zapata learn English
- The merchant marine is a permanent job
- Which certification do employers value most?
- How do dogs protect themselves