Why don't Republicans like immigrants
Immigration to the USAObama: The system is not working properly
He had announced it shortly after the mid-term election. Barack Obama wants to bypass Congress on the subject of illegal immigration and make drastic changes through providential directives, as he announced yesterday on the social network Facebook.
"Everyone agrees that our immigration system is not working properly. Washington has neglected the problem for too long. I will outline what I can do, within the limits of what I am entitled to do, to improve the system."
He will of course also work with Congress to bring about a comprehensive bipartisan reform law, the president added. At prime time, 8 p.m. local time, Obama wants to appear on television and announce the details.
"So tune in, tomorrow night at eight o'clock, here in the White House, where I'll be making this announcement."
American media reported that the White House plans to grant residency rights to undocumented parents of legal immigrants and increase work permits. That could affect between three and four million people. Overall, the number of illegal immigrants in the United States is estimated at eleven million.
From the office of the Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, it was said that the president was acting like an emperor and ignoring the will of the electorate. John Boehner had warned Obama against going without Congress on immigration policy.
"This is not the right way to govern. The American people said on election day that they do not want this. Now all options are on the table. We will fight it tooth and nail."
The Republicans are at odds
But the Republicans don't have many options. You could drag the issue into the budget dispute and Obama cut the funds for his immigration policy. But with that they would again conjure up the danger of a budget blockade and a so-called government shutdown. This was ruled out by the designated Republican majority leader in the Senate, Mitch McConnell.
The Senate had found a compromise on immigration policy last year. However, this failed because of resistance from the right wing of the Republicans in the House of Representatives. What is further angering the Republicans is the fact that Obama, going it alone, is laying a finger on a wound within the Republican Party. It is divided on the question of immigration policy. Many moderate Republicans want a compromise, but the hardliners of the Tea Party refuse to compromise. So the president has a kind of duty to act, said White House spokesman Josh Earnest.
"The president is simply using his powers as much as possible to solve the problem, that is what the American people expect after all."
But it's not that easy. The whole thing has a constitutional component. The President can only issue new directives within the framework of existing laws. But the White House argues that there are a number of precedents on the immigration issue in which Republican presidents would have acted without Congress in view of the humanitarian situation of illegal immigrants. For example, Ronald Reagan and George Bush the Elder have granted residency status to millions of undocumented immigrants by decree. In view of the polarized situation in Washington, however, it is not to be expected that this hint will curb the criticism of many Republicans, which borders on hysterics.
- What is the right diet for Vitiligo
- Can we do an MBA in Germany?
- How can I not be flat
- How close are we to controlling aging
- Who was the eleventh president of Pakistan
- What is famine
- The Germans liked Adolf Hitler
- Are gemstones and diamonds created in the laboratory real?
- How can a toothache cause a headache
- Believe that homosexuality is a sin
- Can practice Islam and Hinduism together
- Is pride a form of arrogance
- Where can I buy authentic Sphatik Mala
- Why do CEOs make so much money
- Have you seen kid rock
- What are the military relations between Bangladesh and Nepal
- What are your favorite messaging poems
- Will Islam dominate England?
- Who is the highest paid athlete
- Can a radiologist become a radiologist
- Is a Dr Copper water bottle safe
- Cultural appropriation is avoidable
- New Zealand accepts the PTE
- What are the top colleges under CMAT
- What was Gautama Buddha wrong about?
- Why are most students liberal
- Why is propaganda so effective
- Could a person die from yawning
- Where did the subcultures go?
- Depression makes you age faster
- Biodegradable plastic is possible
- What do people from Greece call themselves
- How was Boris Johnson elected