How to make an obsidian knife
Make your own knives with or without forging
Determine the scope of doing it yourself
Do-it-yourself has always enjoyed a completely different status than simply buying things. There are three ways to make a knife.
1. Do the whole thing yourself, all the individual parts and, if necessary, mechanics including the forging
2. The use of a forged knife blade and the “around” building of a handle or blade bed with a folding mechanism.
3. Build yourself with a prefabricated kit according to the instructions, in which all required components are prefabricated.
Of course, the choice depends heavily on your own ambitions, manual experience and skill and the equipment and tools.
Recommended procedure for first attempts
In an initial attempt at building a folding knife or a pocket knife, a kit is recommended. When building it yourself, the hobbyist gets to know the internal structure and the locking and movement mechanism in detail. If you want to make a knife with a fixed blade yourself, the first attempt with a finished blade is the ideal start. In order to forge the knife blade itself, steel has to be sawed, heated and ground. Knowledge of steel types and processing methods is required.
How to build a knife with a standing finished blade yourself
Many manufacturers and suppliers of pre-forged blades are located in the Scandinavian region in particular. The blanks are made of blade steel and are roughly pre-ground. The cutting edge and the blade face are connected to a shaft that is inserted into the handle.
The knife shaft has two to three holes through which screws or rivets are later driven for attachment. When deciding which material the handle shells should be made of, you have several options:
- Synthetic resin
The rule of thumb among professional knife makers is to only ever use one type of material. However, synthetic resin can also be used as an adhesive and storage connection for wooden handles.
How to build a complete knife with a standing blade yourself
Carbon steel is the best type of steel. Stainless steel is unsuitable for your own production. The steel plate should be three to six millimeters thick.
With a hacksaw, the recorded blade outline is sawn out as tightly as possible, so that the least possible material removal must take place during subsequent grinding.
After the outlines have been ground out with a side grinder or a flex, the two to three mounting holes are drilled in the shaft.
In the annealing furnace, the blade has to be annealed in orange several times, depending on the type of steel. The knife must then be left on in the oven by reheating it.
- The British Empire had British emperors
- How is freelance com
- What does PCC mean in civil engineering
- Nurses can have long nails
- Will the Europeans lose their culture
- What do you love most about math?
- How many startups close every year
- Australia was a penal colony of Great Britain
- Are the monkeys' brains hardwired to count?
- Can insurrection be called terrorism
- Why do badminton shuttles have 16 springs
- What things add to my life
- Why did 6ix9ine testify in court
- Where can I buy authentic Sphatik Mala
- Can Americans live in Norway?
- Why is India such a lawless country
- How good at business is Trump really
- What's the best song right now
- What is Comino Spice
- Why ion crystals are sproede
- Are writing techniques universal
- Why don't people believe in female privilege
- What are Kubernets 2
- How deadly is polycystic kidney disease