Will Iran seize more British oil tankers?
Iran wants to release British oil tankers
Iran wants to allow the British oil tanker "Stena Impero", which has been confiscated in the Strait of Hormuz since mid-July, to sail again. "The investigations are almost over, there are only a few bureaucratic steps left, and it seems that the ship will soon be released," said Foreign Office spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Monday, according to the Fars news agency.
The Iranian Revolutionary Guards arrested the ship on July 19 on charges of disregarding the law of the sea in the Persian Gulf. The British government suspected that the capture of the "Stena Impero" was a reaction to an incident in Gibraltar.
Britain accuses Iran of oil shipments to Syria
A supertanker with oil from Iran, which is said to have been destined for Syria, was chained there at the beginning of July. According to the authorities, the delivery violated EU sanctions that had been imposed on Syria, a country with a civil war. Iran spoke of "piracy" and threatened consequences. A court in Gibraltar released the ship, which was renamed from "Grace-1" to "Adrian Darya-1", in mid-August. London vehemently rejected the assumption that it was an exchange deal with the "Stena Impero".
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the most important sea routes in the world. It connects the Persian Gulf with the Indian Ocean. Much of the global oil export is shipped through the strait. Tensions in the region had intensified immensely in the past few months. Merchant shipping was drawn into the US-Iran conflict. There were several incidents involving tankers and drones.
RND / dpa
- How many allies are there for the USA?
- Why are you wearing jeans
- Why are records associated with dust?
- What is AI and ML
- Is there Uber in Phuket
- How long does it take until the earth is overcrowded?
- Insurance companies must be registered
- Are there militant agnostics
- What happens in prisons during the cleansing
- How are corduroy pants
- How trusting you are
- What problems do Muslims face in India?
- What is relative morality
- What is the highest rated pickup truck
- What year did PlayStation 5 come out?
- What does electrophilic and nucleophilic mean?
- Why is federal income tax constitutional
- Why do bikers call it a cut
- What should everyone know about Seoul
- Who are immigrants
- Why do Americans use the word while doing this?
- Which airline has the best safety record?
- Why does Facebook have so many engineers
- Asana gets traction