What is a diploma in fashion design
Requirements for studying fashion design
Do you want to become a fashion designer? Find out here which requirements you have to meet in order to receive one of the coveted study places.
In no other fashion course you have to meet as many requirements and pass exams as in the fashion design course. In addition to the demands on themselves, applicants in fashion schools, universities and technical colleges often have to undergo a wide variety of entrance tests. We'll give you an overview.
The type of institution determines the criteria
First of all, it depends on whether you want to study at a fashion school or a university or college. There are some elementary differences between the three providers that must be taken into account.
Fashion (technical) schools, for example, are not academic training centers and cannot award their own Bachelor's or Master's degree. The hurdle to get an apprenticeship position is much lower - at least in relation to the required school leaving certificate. However, many fashion schools also offer bachelor's degrees in cooperation with universities. In that case, the requirements for academic studies must be met.
Prerequisite 1: the right school leaving certificate
- At Vocational and fashion schools you can train to become a fashion designer with the Middle maturity start.
- For a Fashion studies at a university of applied sciences, which concludes with a bachelor's degree, you need the advanced technical college entrance qualification (High school diploma school and practical).
- For a Fashion studies at a university or art schoolthat concludes with a bachelor's degree or diploma, you need the general university entrance qualification (High School).
- Who one Master in Fashion Design want to do, a must Undergraduate degree (Bachelor or equivalent) in the field of design.
Requirement 2: suitability
Regardless of whether you want to go to a university, college or fashion school: You need talent. In addition to the school leaving certificate, this is the second requirement that must be met.
The suitability is guaranteed by an aptitude test. This consists of submitting a portfolio, but can also contain other components, for example a letter of motivation or a personal interview. If the applicant committee likes your portfolio, you will be selected from the large number of applicants for the next round. This can be another creative task or a personal conversation.
More about the aptitude test
What is also often required is a letter of motivation. In such a cover letter you justify your suitability and your passion for studying fashion design.
More about the letter of motivation
Requirement 3: practical experience
In addition to the required school leaving certificate and the submission of a portfolio, some initial work experience is required. However, this is not always the case. However: a voluntary internship can increase the chance of a study place. At some universities, a pre-study internship can have a positive effect on your chances of getting a university place - something you should know, for example. You can only find out by thoroughly researching the admission requirements of your desired (higher) school in advance.
Necessary personal qualities
In general, you should have the following personal requirements and characteristics for studying fashion design:
- Drawing, artistic, creative talent
- Increased awareness
- Spatial imagination
- Perseverance & self-confidence (artistic professions can be quite a pain in the ass, e.g. due to the pressure to be creative)
- The ability to deal constructively with criticism (if the 3rd draft is also torn up, this should be taken as an incentive for the 4th draft)
- No two left hands, after all you will have to sew a lot and cut fabrics using templates
If you are ready to start your career in the fashion world and thus meet the requirements, look for the right course at the amd Akademie Mode & Design. The range of courses includes bachelor's and master's degrees, but also advanced training and preparatory courses. More details in the information material.
Application for a fashion design degree
Do you meet all the requirements for studying fashion design? Great! To become a fashion designer, all you have to do now is apply to the appropriate fashion schools or universities.
What actually belongs in a typical application for a fashion design degree? Well, these are formal documents (application, certificates, etc.), possibly a letter of motivation, but above all you need a creative folder. You can read on here how to apply for a fashion degree, how the selection of candidates is made and which application deadlines have to be observed:
- How can you run a textile business
- What's cheap in Hong Kong
- What makes a film set look real
- How should I register for AFTER
- What is the difference between intelligence and espionage
- Why are diamonds not considered an asset?
- What's your most sexual experience in school
- Why are people selfish and violent
- The University of Scotland is free for Americans
- Difference Between Self Esteem and Ego
- According to Christianity, Jesus is God why
- Why are the orbits of planets elliptical
- Who would win Captain America or Groot?
- How effective are brain-computer interfaces
- What helps history to understand the world
- Is religion a form of politics?
- What did old Filipino cities look like?
- What does Kustum Sana mean in Turkish
- What is SaaS Marketing
- What is automotive industry
- Where do cruise ships earn their money?
- What is my hair color 1
- Can the President visit secret military bases?
- What are the different travel vaccinations
- Polish is harder to understand than Russian
- The American prison system is modern slavery
- What are some examples of leadership roles
- Are there Sikh Jats in Haryana
- Are there left-wing National Socialists
- Which is the best branded vitamin
- How did the grunge movement come about?
- Computer science is overrated
- What is the difference between measles
- How do I choose GIA certified diamonds